Tuesday 18 September 2012

Writing

Today I am having one of those days where I have simply not spent enough time writing on my next projects or done any marketing of the book. I am not sure why that is, some days just seem to go by with very little being produced. Or so it seems to me.

As I am struggling to write the chapters of my next book, a romance, I cannot help but wonder if it is worthwhile. What if no one ever buys my just published book 'Briefs'? Chances are no one will buy any other book I write and publish too? Or is that not the correct way to look at things?

Of course on the up side plenty of people might buy the book 'Briefs' and love it and look for more books of mine. That is the problem then isn't it, the uncertainty of success. Is it really any different in any other job? Maybe. Some jobs probably are more predictable. Often though people embark on things without knowing the outcome. Take opening a shop for example, no one really knows if customers will come in or not. Of course there are ways one can increase the chance of customers coming in by selling things people want, like shoes, or clothes or food.

I guess it is not different in the writing world.

At the end of the day that is what life is about. You simply go and do it.

As I sign off for the night to devise marketing strategies and maybe write some more I will leave you to look at beach shacks on the Mornington Peninsula. I bet you when the first one was built there, people were saying what are you doing that for? It will never take off. Now these things sell for a bit of money.

Go and follow that dream - you know you want to :)






1 comment:

  1. As Alphonse Karr said

    Some people are always complaining that roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.

    ReplyDelete