Thursday 20 September 2012

Staying Creative

As I wait with baited breath to sell a book, I am also trying to stay creative, which can be difficult. Demands are made on my time that take me away from writing, however, as a famous Australian bush ranger said 'such is life'.

What do you do to try and stay creative?

One source of inspiration for me is going for a run. Often I am able to move scenes along or come up with a new story altogether. My story titled 'Memory Jogged' was thought of during a run on a hot day along the Murray River after a storm.

A lot of story ideas came my way during our recent holiday to Sorrento. Walking on the beach, strolling through mazes and exploring rolling hills with vineyard all helped with being creative.

Then of course there is Europe. What a place of inspiration. Ideally I would like to spend a few months every year somewhere in Europe, preferably Bavaria, writing another award winning novel. Bavaria, like a lot of places, has some magnificent scenery with fantastic mountains, beautiful lakes and green pasture. At a place called Hechtsee I dreamt of writing a book about a dragon called Scriberamus. The backdrop to this lake are stark mountains, with hardly anything green on it, mountains the dragon has to cross over. It is one of many stories yet waiting to be written. Hopefully I will finish one day.

The castles in Bavaria are another story. I know all of you will instantly know the fairy tale one, Schloss Neuschwanstein - it would be a place full of stories and inspiration I bet. And isn't it in the most  amazing location? It certainly is a place where I writing workshop should be held I think, don't you?

Well I guess I better get back to being creative. It is evening and I should be able to get at least an hour of writing before the day will end.

How about floating on the Chiemsee, heading to Schloss Herrenchiemsee for lunch and an afternoon of writing? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment