Sunday 9 September 2012

To further edit or not?

As you would know by now I am about to publish a book called 'Briefs - a collection of short stories'. I have edited the book at least ten times if not more.

This afternoon I received an email to say the book is ready to be published or edited, again.

I have asked my beloved husband if I should simply publish it or review it one last time to which he replied, 'you can never over edit.'

Is that really true?

I have looked at the stories so many times now I nearly know them off by heart. Part of me suspects that during a further edit I might create more mistakes than I will fix. What shall I do?

In all honesty I don't know. Part of me wants to simply press the button that says please publish the book. The other, the one afraid of what will happen next, tells me to edit again.

Does that mean I am afraid of failure? Maybe.

Why do I say that? Because publishing a book means you are opening yourself up to criticism from other people, people like you. This of course is not necessarily bad. According to research (an exact source fails me) constructive criticism is healthy. What is constructive criticism I hear you ask. It goes something like this; "Tanya, good to see you published a book, I am afraid though some of your stories need work, but good on you for trying." Or something along those lines. You get the drift I am sure.

Alternatively I may have what actors call stage fright. Should I get my husband to complete the process?

I don't think I will have the answer tonight. If you dear reader have any comments or suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

Until I work out what to do I thought I should offer a further teaser from the book.


Counsel’s Objection
  
 “Your Honour if I may submit….” Sarah started trying to inject confidence into her voice, which seemed to be fading rapidly.  
“Ms Hemming, please, you are not going to persist with those submissions are you? I mean really.” The eyes rolled upwards as the words dripped from the Magistrate’s thin mouth.
Sarah tried to ignore the sneer from the ravenously handsome solicitor opposing her. Ever since he had stepped into Court her body and mind had gone on a frolic. I’m a career woman, she repeated like a mantra, trying her hardest to remain focused.     



Perhaps I should simply publish and see what happens. 

Bis zum naechsten mal - Tschuess


The power of nature as well 

No comments:

Post a Comment