Friday 7 September 2012

Books

As I near the finishing line of self publishing my first book 'Briefs - A collection of short stories', I contemplate the relevance of books in our so called digital society.

Do people still read books, or does everyone reach for their digital device in whatever form they prefer?

If you have views on this topic and wish to share them I would love to hear from you.

I myself think books are still relevant.

Take for example flying. As soon as you step onto the plane there is the announcement that all electronic devices have to be turned off. If you like to read and do not have a hard copy book, bad luck.

Not that trains, buses or other forms of public transport have similar requirements, you can still see plenty of people carrying a book as opposed to their computer (including tablets, ipads and other devices) on public transport.

There are probably many reasons why people like a book, including the most basic one, which is you can always turn the page of a book without worrying you might run out of battery. I imagine it would be quite annoying if you got to a crucial part in the book when the battery ran out and you were miles from anywhere where you can recharge the electronic device.

Don't get me wrong by they way. I think electronic publishing has its place/advantages and is a great idea. I myself am going to try and turn my book into electronic format (once I recover from the stress of formatting for a hardcover book). I guess I am simply saying both forms of publishing have their benefits and place.

It was heartening to hear a woman in a toy shop the other day who told the shop assistant that all three of her grandchildren loved their books. Do you still read books are are you an electronic reader?

I think I prefer the real thing, a book, but I have an iPad with ebooks on it.  

Before I leave you today I thought I would offer the opening paragraph of one of the short stories to be published imminently, to wet your appetite so to speak.

Hope you enjoy :)


The Dish, Taken Cold

He tried to look into those deep blue eyes, digging deep to find something, anything. Once they had held him, seduced him by their sea and sky. Her eyes alone could have won anything they desired from him. But now none of that; all he could see were the images at the end of his surprise trip to their home. Where there was perfection, was now shattered ruin.


And as always a parting photo for your viewing pleasure. 



A writing shack?

Rolling hills of the Mornington Peninsula, a place of exquisite beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment