Tuesday 4 September 2012

Difference of opinion

There is no doubt we are all guided and influenced by other people's opinions, no more so than as a writer. Rejection slips are taken personally (at least they are by me) and if someone dares to tell us they do not like what we say/writer or think we strike them off the christmas mailing list or block them as a friend on face book for those who use face book.

Today I took my book into the office after my husband commented on some of its flaws the other day. The first thing my assistant wanted to know was why the book was not justified. Tempted as I was to say because I have not done it yet, I simply made a note to attend to this matter once back home. Thank god she offered no further advice on the content, because if she had dear reader I might have put the manuscript in the shredder there and then.

I know that books on writing and other writers tell us that the opinion of one person is just the opinion of one person, it is difficult to stay motivated if that opinion is a negative one. Several times now I have nearly given up.

To stay somewhat positive and motivated I try and read as much writing advice as I can and cling onto any previous publication success.

I love reading Matthew Riley who I think said that people should remember the power of their encouragement to a writer (my apologies if Matthew Riley did not say this).

It is so true. To all of you out there who know a writer make sure you encourage them because I can tell you there is plenty of criticism offered by many a person a long the way.

Stay creative!

Remember to go for it like the seagulls!

Back to my formatting. Look out for 'Briefs - a collection of short stories'.


No comments:

Post a Comment