Thursday 4 October 2012

Information Sharing

We are so lucky that we live in an age where information is at our fingertips (at least for some of us). I know those of us in the world with telephone, computers and Internet are very lucky.

Recently I searched marketing my ebook (Briefs a collection of short stories) and I came across several thousand (more like millions) entries on google. Browsing just some of them I picked up some useful tips. The most useful thing however was what I read on how long it takes for a person to get good at something. 

I did not bookmark the site but the author wrote that it takes ten thousand hours of doing whatever it is you want to learn, to become good at it. I guess that means before you become a good writer you have to write for ten thousand hours. I pondered this as I have some knowledge in the sport science arena, and whilst I cannot quote the exact statistics I think it was something like thirty thousand repetitions of a skill makes it so you don't think about it anymore. However, you have to do these repetitions correctly. This means if you do thirty thousand repetitions of some movement and you do not do it right, you will not have mastered the skill (except incorrectly). I wondered if the same applies to writing. If you write for ten thousand hours but you write badly, will you still write badly at the end of ten thousand hours? Or, will your writing improve at say eight thousand hours, because of all the practise. Is it practise that gets you there or does it have to be good practise?

You might think what does it matter at the end of the day, with some good books selling well and other good books not so well and some bad books selling well and some bad books not selling so well.

What I realised at the end of reading and writing all this is, that what matters most is that you enjoy what you are doing. I have been editing my novel Just and Equitable and as I do so I laugh out loud, a sign I am enjoying what I am writing. The rest then is up to you, the reader. 

If you are a writer and enjoy writing, keep doing so. I know I will. 



The way news and information was transported :)

No comments:

Post a Comment