Saturday 13 October 2012

Ebooks the way of the future

As I was debating what to write about for today's post I had initially envisaged writing about the word again, but alas it is a bit late and I fear I will not make much sense of my jumbled thoughts on the matter. Thus I decided to write some more on the ebook.

Marketing skills on the increase, I hope, I am getting more and more armed with information on ebooks and their benefits to writers. Of course I am still a bit dubious about this claim, particularly as I can see no benefits to my books so far (I know it is early days). Please do not get me wrong, I understand my little book is competing against thousands, no maybe hundred of thousands of books published electronically. A lot of those would be by authors who are well known.

What amazes me is that anyone ever finds us self published authors. I feel like a fish in the ocean, swimming for days without seeing another fish. Who could forget the scene in Finding Nemo where Nemo and Dory are swimming without anyone else around? That is exactly how I feel. Who will ever discover my book and if they do why would they buy it?

I am sure other authors must have similar feelings but I have to say, browsing sites such as Smash Words and Amazon makes me feel smaller and smaller by the minute with the body of water growing by the second.

Is there anything I can do about it? I guess I could give up writing, but I am not quite at that stage, yet.

When I think back to the days where I was starting out as a lawyer it was probably not much different. It was difficult to get a job. Advertisement for lawyers required at least two years pae (it took some time for me to work out this acronym stood for post admission experience) when I had none. Then when I had a year or so of pae, the job ads asked for three or four years pae. I felt as though I was always just behind the eight ball. Now some ten or more years later I no longer look at job ads, nor do I look at how much poe the job requires, I simply go and find work (if I am looking for another job).

I am sure one day I will be writing about my publishing experience and tell other people about the persistence and hard work one has to go through to get there. Until then I will struggle on with promoting by book Briefs and at the same time work on my novel Just and Equitable.

As it is Saturday night here in Australia I wish the rest of you a good weekend. Enjoy :)

A tiny fish in a big ocean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment