Saturday 6 October 2012

Becoming a Brand

As I wrote yesterday, that day started with the attendance at a webinar (isn't it great how we have come up with a new word for a seminar done over the world wide web?). The seminar was about marketing, which has since been discussed in our house, not on a critical level but more on what practical things one should do to market a book.

It would be fair to say that the theme of the seminar was about branding, which led me to wonder if a writer should create a brand for himself (or herself) or if that in itself distracts from the creativity of the writer.

If I was to try and brand myself, I am not sure how I would go about this. For starters my first book is a book of short stories (for those of you not in the know it is called Briefs), with my second being a novel about separation and the Family Court process. Then I am editing a romance novel as well as writing a non fiction book on Family Law principles in Australia for people who have separated or are thinking of separating. Thus, I don't think I can be easily branded.

Whilst I acknowledge writers need to stick to marketing principles as much as possible I cannot see myself  becoming a brand (unless my perception of this term is different to what it means). Sure, I appreciate press releases are important as well as somehow connecting with your audience, you the reader, I cannot see how turning myself into a brand can help me.

If you differ in opinion on this I would love to hear from you.

In the meantime I take this opportunity to remind you that Briefs - a collection of short stories is available as an ebook or a paper back at the following links:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009C8TC96

 https://www.createspace.com/3962688


And of course look out for the soon to be released novel ' Just and Equitable'.


No comments:

Post a Comment